Thursday, May 2, 2013


For my AP Studio Art class last year, I had to produce a portfolio of 24 pieces, 12 for the breadth section and 12 for my concentration. I decided to create a 2D design portfolio, which meant that I could include more abstract and graphic-design oriented work. This piece is one of my concentration pieces. My theme was abstracting photographs - I always felt that photography made images seem so flat and boring, so I wanted to create unexpected movement through overlapping images, twisting photographs, and creating wave-like motion throughout my twelve concentration pieces. 
In this piece, I photographed a succulent plant, cut the same image into strips, and layered the strips to mirror the original image, creating a more dynamic, optical-illusion-like feel to an otherwise flat image. 


This is another piece from my concentration. Using a photo that I took of the Eiffel Tower, I cut repeating spheres and re-glued the image back together, slightly shifting each sphere to create a swirled, optical image. 

I received a score of 4 out of 5 for my 2-D AP Studio Art portfolio. 

No comments:

Post a Comment